I'm waffling. Are we doing the right thing? Honestly "cold turkey" is some thing I disagree with in almost every aspect of parenting, I don't think it's a healthy way to handle really any thing...And yet we got rid of diapers cold turkey. I honestly didn't think it would be a big deal. She hates wearing diapers...but this big change is obviously just way too much for her. She is extremely fussy and at points inconsolable. Part of me is like, maybe we should stop- it's upsetting her- this doesn't seem like the best way to learn the potty. And like I said, I'm a big fan of child-led everything, this isn't a choice she seems ready to make. The other part thinks, she'll be so happy when she can use the potty! No more wrestling with diaper changes, SHE will have control over her body and learning a new life skill.
I honestly don't mind changing diapers- 2 in (cloth) diapers isn't a big deal, I mean it's a lot of laundry it's definitely work...But way less work than dealing with a potty trained toddler...Who will need help getting to the potty IMMEDIATELY for the next several months (if not years).
I am doing this for her, I really think she wants to learn how to use the potty.
But she holds it, she stands and crosses her legs and than has an accident and won't use the potty. The mention of "tell us if you need to go" totally melts her into tears and whining. I don't know what to do.
I'm very conflicted. The largest part of my heart says "hold her close, be patient and compassionate...Hold her through this change, stay constant and consistant she WILL adjust...She'll grieve and move on."
The other part is slightly concerned we're ruining this process for her. We've tried to make it fun, we've tried to give her extra special attention. I think getting sick has made it a thousand times harder. ERGH had we realized that the sniffles would head this direction we never would have taken this on. :0(
So Day 2- no success.
Day 3- no accidents (and she's been up an hour and a half)...we'll see if it clicks, if it doesn't we're not sure what we'll do.
Maybe she's not as ready as we thought. I'll own up to that. I know she'll get used to this eventually, but is it what's best for her?